Meet and Greet/Sign In
About Amnesty International
A little bit about the organization – National Priorities
(for more information on this, click here)
Ephraim gives a short presentation about short presentations
Esha Mufti from Students for Action in Darfur (more info)
Ideas/requests for short presentations/guest speakers
Letter writing meeting Feb 3rd – sign letters
Statewide Conference this Saturday (!!) February 16th from 10am-4pm in Willard Hall at OSU
Get Into Committees
· Urgent Action (Mady)
· Short Presentations (Ephraim)
· Groovefest (Will)
· Membership (Sarah)
· Tshirt (Ephraim)
· Volunteer Coordinating (Will)
The Vagina Monologues – Performance February 11th and 12th in Meacham Auditorium at 7pm
Working in the OU, Norman, and Oklahoma communities
· Walk for Women: March 8. The purpose of the Walk for Women is to unite several Oklahoma City metro area community members in an effort to advocate against global issues such as hunger, poverty, disease, access to safe water, environmental degradation, illiteracy, gender inequalities, etc. This event will be held on March 8, 2008 from 9 am to 12 pm at the University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond (around Broncho Lake) in honor of International Women’s Day
· Oklahoma Sustainability Conference: March 28-29 . This year’s theme is “Red Dirt, Green Culture — Growing Healthy Communities.” The 7th Annual Conference of the Oklahoma Sustainability Network is a continuation of excellence in education and networking, bringing together over 500 individuals from non-profit organizations, business, and family farms to learn and grow sustainably together.
· National Week of Student Action 2008 – It's that time of year again! National Week of Student Action (NWSA) 2008 is quickly approaching and we need YOUR help. Help us Shut Down Guantánamo by registering to participate in this year's NWSA (March 31- April 4, 2008). Join other student activists in demanding the closure of Guantánamo and release of prisoners unless they are to be charged and tried in accordance with international standards of fair trial.
Urgent Action Network
Presentation of latest UA
Letter writing Sunday, February 17th at 7:30pm at Sarah’s new house (816 Lahoma, just south of Brooks)
There are many opportunities for us to get out into the community this semester - here are just a few we talked about at the end of the meeting.
- The Oklahoma WOW! (Work of Women) Network Program will give a presentation about the current conflict in Kenya on Thursday, February 28th at the World Neighbors Headquarters located at 4127 NW 122nd Street in Oklahoma City. For more information about this event and the Walk for Women on March 8, click here.
- Sarah Whitten talked to us about the Clinton Global Initiative.
- Katie Baker informed us of her idea for an awareness-raising project about poverty that we will find out more about at our next meeting.
Next general meeting – February 24th